Turkish Atomic Energy Authority

In 1956, General Secreteriat of Atomic Energy Commission was established in Ankara by the law numbered 6821, as an organization affiliated to the Prime Ministry. In 1982, the Commission was restructured as Turkish Atomic Energy Authority affiliated to the Prime Ministry by the law numbered 2690.

In 1956, 760.000 TL (~ 270.000 $) was allocated from the state budget for establishment of a research reactor and to pay for its first charges. For that purpose, the land by the Küçükçekmece Lake in İstanbul was expropriated. In 1957, “American Machine and Foundry (AMF)”  was  chosen among the five firms submitted bid for construction of the TR-1 Research Reactor for experimental purposes in nuclear science. The project was on a turnkey basis. TR-1 Research reactor was constructed between years 1959-1962 on the land. On the 6th of January, 1962 the reactor reached first criticality and started operation on 27th of May, 1962. The facility and its environment was named Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center (ÇNAEM). Construction of reactor building was finished in November, 1960 and the laboratories and workshop construction was finished in April 1961. The first staff  of ÇNAEM was appointed in July, 1961.

Readmore >>