Reactor building opening ceremony
TR-1 Research Reator
First building and the site
ÇNAEM and its environment
In 1956, General Secreteriat of Atomic Energy Commission was established in Ankara by the law numbered 6821, as an organization affiliated to the Prime Ministry. In 1982, the Commission was restructured as Turkish Atomic Energy Authority affiliated to the Prime Ministry by the law numbered 2690.
In 1956, 760.000 TL (~ 270.000 $) was allocated from the state budget for establishment of a research reactor and to pay for its first charges. For that purpose, the land by the Küçükçekmece Lake in İstanbul was expropriated. In 1957, “American Machine and Foundry (AMF)” was chosen among the five firms submitted bid for construction of the TR-1 Research Reactor for experimental purposes in nuclear science. The project was on a turnkey basis. TR-1 Research reactor was constructed between years 1959-1962 on the land. On the 6th of January, 1962 the reactor reached first criticality and started operation on 27th of May, 1962. The facility and its environment was named Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center (ÇNAEM). Construction of reactor building was finished in November, 1960 and the laboratories and workshop construction was finished in April 1961. The first staff of ÇNAEM was appointed in July, 1961.
In 1962, establishment of Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center was finished. The center was affiliated to the General Secretariat of Atomic Energy Commission and its purpose was research, development, application and training activities in nuclear field.
Ankara Nuclear Research and Training Center (ANAEM) was established in 1967.
In 1967, “Decree on Radiation Health” and in 1968 “Regulation on Radiation Health” entered into force on the basis of the Law numbered 6821. As the defined in the Decree, authorization of granting and cancelling licenses in activities involving radiation was given to the Atomic Energy Commission. According to the legislation, those duties were performed by Health Physics Departments of Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center and Ankara Nuclear Research and Training Center.
Until 1973, personal dosimetry service was provided for 3550 radiation workers.
In 1979, Nuclear Agriculture Center was established within the structure of ANAEM. In 1999, Nuclear Agriculture Center was restructured and continued its activities inside the organization of Ankara Nuclear Agriculture and Livestock Research Center (ANTHAM) located in Sarayköy.
Lalahan Animal Health Nuclear Research Center was established in 1981 and continued its activities inside the organization of Ankara Nuclear Agriculture and Livestock Research Center (ANTHAM) located in Sarayköy.
In October 1999, Research and Training Center for Turkish Speaking Countries (TÜDNAEM) was established by the decision of Council of Ministers as an affiliated organization of TAEK. TÜDNAEM was established for execution of effective and productive of relations with the Turkish Speaking Countries.
Ankara Nuclear Research and Training Center (ANAEM) and Ankara Nuclear Agriculture and Livestock Research Center (ANTHAM) were consolidated under Sarayköy Nuclear Research and Training Center (SANAEM) by the decision of Council of Ministers published in the Official Gazette on 1st of July, 2005.
TAEK’s activities are being performed by three centers and departments under the authority of TAEK President.