Affiliates

Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center

TR-1 Research Reactor (1961) Firstly Constructed Buildings and Land (1962) ÇNAEM and Its Environment (2004)
  • In 1956, General Secreteriat of Atomic Energy Commission was established in Ankara by the law numbered 6821, as an organization affiliated to the Prime Ministry.
  • In 1956, 760.000 TL (~ 270.000 $) was allocated from the state budget for establishment of a research reactor and to pay for its first charges. For that purpose, the land by the Küçükçekmece Lake in İstanbul was expropriated. In 1957, “American Machine and Foundry (AMF)”  was  chosen among the five firms submitted bid for construction of the TR-1 Research Reactor for experimental purposes in nuclear science. The project was on a turnkey basis. TR-1 Research reactor was constructed between years 1959-1962 on the land.
  • On the 6th of January, 1962 (19:14) the reactor reached first criticality and started operation on 27th of May, 1962 with its 1 MW nominal power.
  • The facility and its environment was named Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center (ÇNAEM). Construction of reactor building was finished in November, 1960 and the laboratories and workshop construction was finished in April 1961. The first staff  of ÇNAEM was appointed in July, 1961.
  • In 1962, establishment of Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center was finished. The center was affiliated to the General Secretariat of Atomic Energy Commission and its purpose was research, development, application and training activities in nuclear field.
  • In September, 1977 the TR-1 Research Reactor was stopped due the work placement of TR-2 Research Reactor. 
  • 10th of December, 1981 the TR-2 Research Reactor reached criticality with its 5 MW nominal power. 
  • In 1982, the Commission was restructured as Turkish Atomic Energy Authority affiliated to the Prime Ministry by the law numbered 2690.

ÇNAEM Organization Chart

Read more...

History

  • In 1956, General Secreteriat of Atomic Energy Commission was established in Ankara by the law numbered 6821, as an organization affiliated to the Prime Ministry.
  • In 1956, 760.000 TL (~ 270.000 $) was allocated from the state budget for establishment of a research reactor and to pay for its first charges. For that purpose, the land by the Küçükçekmece Lake in İstanbul was expropriated. In 1957, “American Machine and Foundry (AMF)”  was  chosen among the five firms submitted bid for construction of the TR-1 Research Reactor for experimental purposes in nuclear science. The project was on a turnkey basis. TR-1 Research reactor was constructed between years 1959-1962 on the land.
  • On the 6th of January, 1962 (19:14) the reactor reached first criticality and started operation on 27th of May, 1962 with its 1 MW nominal power.
  • The facility and its environment was named Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center (ÇNAEM). Construction of reactor building was finished in November, 1960 and the laboratories and workshop construction was finished in April 1961. The first staff  of ÇNAEM was appointed in July, 1961.
  • In 1962, establishment of Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center was finished. The center was affiliated to the General Secretariat of Atomic Energy Commission and its purpose was research, development, application and training activities in nuclear field.
  • In September, 1977 the TR-1 Research Reactor was stopped due the work placement of TR-2 Research Reactor. 
  • 10th of December, 1981 the TR-2 Research Reactor reached criticality with its 5 MW nominal power. 
  • In 1982, the Commission was restructured as Turkish Atomic Energy Authority affiliated to the Prime Ministry by the law numbered 2690.